"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe." ~ John Muir

11 May 2007

May 11, 2007

On one of my previous trips home from Silver City, I stopped at the "Rooster Cogburn Ostrich Ranch" and bought an egg for Steve for Easter. Today, it caught my eye and I thought it would make an interesting photo.

Below is the Ostrich egg, a regular Large Grade AA chicken egg, and an egg of indeterminate origin (although I think it might be mockingbird), that I found blown down in my yard one day. All I can think when I look at that Ostrich egg is, "Ouch!" Statistics below ~

The Ostrich egg shell is the largest and thickest shell in the world. A fertile egg weighs about 3.5 pounds and takes 6 weeks to hatch. There is one giant yolk inside that is approximately equal to 24 chicken eggs (yolks). The egg shell that I have is from an infertile egg. The egg was drained through a precision hole in one end and the shell was then cleaned with a disinfecting solution.