"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe." ~ John Muir

04 July 2007

July 4, 2007

Happy 4th of July! A celebration of our Nation's Independence. (Never you mind that not all of the Founding Father's actually signed the Declaration of Independence on the 4th - it's still a great document and a great day.)

For several years running Steve and I had a semi-tradition of spending the 4th on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon with several of our pals. On one of our trips, I was trail running, tripped, and mangled my finger (and cut open my shin). Not one to be a weenie, I ripped up my bandanna and splinted my finger with a stick (how rugged, eh?). Then I cleaned my shin and wrapped the remainder of my bandanna around that and kept on running. As the sun set, we sang "The Star Spangled Banner" on the rim. It sounded fine!

Me and my poor splinted finger. Nothing a few ibuprofen and cold beer couldn't handle.

This year, although several of our pals are assembling on the North Rim, we opted to stay home and give the cat a bath! That's right. The innocent wandered into the kitchen for a snack, and I grabbed him and popped him without ceremony into the bathtub. It was a bit traumatic, but he certainly smells better. I cannot believe the quantity of dirt that one small body can harbour! Astonishing!

Tonight is barbecue in full-scale 4th of July fashion. Matt and Denise will be joining us, and being downtown, I'm sure we'll see fireworks...

'Tis the Star Spangled Banner, O long may it wave
O'er the Land of the Free
And the Home of the Brave!

Uh, Clem - PreBath (Apparently HE thinks he needs a washing!)

Uh, Clem - PostBath. Doesn't he look fluffy?

Yes, all of THAT came off the body of one small cat!!