"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe." ~ John Muir

30 December 2007

December 23, 2007

Up bright and early in Lone Pine, California - the portal to Mount Whitney. Perhaps someday I'll climb to the top. Today, I am content to continue our journey towards Truckee.

Steve snapped this pic at sunrise. It was cold and still and beautiful. The morning sun greeting the snowy peaks to the west of Lone Pine - it is a sight we've seen hundreds of times and never before. Time freezes and I could stand and gaze forever but all too soon the cold creeps up the sleeves of my coat and I start to shiver and it's time to move on.

Birds perched on the power lines keeping their little feet toasty warm and waiting for the warm kiss of the Sun's first rays.

On the other side of day I watch the moon rise from my parents' back porch. It's cold here, too. Before we leave the temperature will have dropped to 0.4 degrees Fahrenheit.