"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe." ~ John Muir

10 October 2007

October 10, 2007

So, I'm sitting at my desk, talking on the phone and sort of staring out the window, when Uh' Clem catches my eye. He's under the lemon tree with something BIG in his mouth. I'm like, "What IS that?!" Hold the phone, I'll be right back!

I go charging outside to rescue whichever of the two needs rescuing (the cat or his lunch). Turns out it's this really big horn worm! Probably a tomato horn worm. Very colorful, but they can mow down a tomato plant in an evening - seriously! I tried to distract Uh' Clem with treats but he won't have any of that. Fortunately, as the horn worm stops flopping around, Clem loses interest. I'm just glad he didn't haul the thing into the house! Good kitty!


Uh'Clem mesmerized by his horn worm.

And, viola! The horn worm, itself. It really is a lovely green and nice and stripey. Too bad they can be so dang destructive. This one was about four inches long and as large around as my thumb.