"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe." ~ John Muir

15 October 2007

October 13, 2007

Ever wonder what the inside of the remote looks like? Well, Steve dropped the remote to the VCR and being who I am, I just HAD to pull the thing apart and see what was up. Not much to it, really (one screw held the whole shootin' match together). Of course, when it's a simple matter of transmitting pulses of infrared light at around 980 nm (nanometers), I guess not much hardware is required.


Turns out, the LED (light-emitting diode), was broken when the remote was dropped. You can see the break at the bottom of the LED, which is protruding from the right end of the circuit board in the photo below. Can't decide if I want to try and fix it, or not. It's just hangin' out in a plastic baggy for the time being (like I've got nothing ELSE to do!).